Re Mid Term Break :School will closed Thursday 15th and Friday 16th February . We wish everyone a safe and happy break
Reminder Open Night for Junior Infants ( Enrolling in September 2018) on Tuesday 13th February at 7.30p.m in school.
Parent Teacher meetings Weds 21st and Thurs 22nd February
There will be an Internet Safety Seminar for Parents in our school on Thursday 15th March at 7.15 p.m. This talk will be given by Zeeko Academy(Internet Safety Seminar Specialists) and pupils from 1st to 6th will have Internet Safety workshops during that day. We ask that all parents/guardians try and come to the Parents Seminar as Internet Safety is a growing issue especially for our young children/teenagers. The talk is being subdised by our Parents association.
Important dates this term
- Thursday 1st February 2018 - Grandparents Day.: Mass at 10am . Senior Infants - 6th will be attending. After Mass all parents and Grandparents of both boys and girls school are invited to the Convent Primary School for refreshments in the school hall. Grandparents are invited to visit their Grandchild's class in our school.
- February 12th - 14th is Friendship week in our school. There will be lots of activities games etc based around friendship.
- Parent Teacher meetings Wednesday 21st & Thursday 22nd February.
- Open night for Juniors Infants 2018 on Tuesday 13th February at 7.30pm
Welcome back everyone after the Christmas break. We wish you all a happy and safe New Year.
Our school newsletter is on website with all current events taking place in school.
Happy Christmas and Best Wishes for the New Year 2018 from all the Staff in Kanturk GNS. School re-opens Monday, 8th of January 2018.
It is nearly "HOLIDAY TIME!". We had a very famous visitor to our school during the week- The man himself - Santa!!!!! Check out some photos below. Hopefully we have been good this year.....
Well done to our Public Speakers who took part in the final of the IRD Public Speaking. One of our teams came second and the other team were runners - up. We are very proud of them here in Kanturk GNS.
Best of luck to our public speakers taking part in the IRD public speaking competition, ,Weds 13th December, in IRD Newmarket. We are very proud of them to have got to the finals and wish them well
Some of our pupils are heading to the Golf Club on Friday 15th December to sing and play music at the Senior Citizens party . Thanks to all who are able to take part on the night
We are very proud here in Kanturk GNS after a busy weekend. Our performance showcase of "All Kinds of Everything was a huge success.The girls and boys of our school were absolutely fantastic and parents and extended family were entertained well over the two nights.
A word of thank you to the two drama teachers who were in our school since September. Also thanks to Peter O' Callaghan for all his work. Thanks to the Parents Association, The Edel Quinn Hall committee and anyone that helped in any way.
Finally, a huge thanks to the teachers and staff of Kanturk GNS who prepared the boys and girls so well also. The children throughly enjoyed the two nights. For all the children's hard work a little party is happening in the hall for them and they have homework off tonight and tomorrow night. We're very proud of all the children here in GNS and there were certainly stars in the making.Check out some of the photographs below. A DVD of the nights will be available with details later.
Congratulations to the 5th and 6th Class Public Speaking team who are in the Final next Wednesday, 13th of December 2017. Thank you to Ms. Guiney for helping them to prepare. We wish them the very best of luck and we are sure they will do us proud!
Lights, Camera, Action!!!
Our Shows "All Kinds of Everything" take place Friday, 8th of December and Saturday, 9th of December 2017.
Junior Infants - Ms. Denise O'Riordan: Goldilocks.
Senior Infants - Mrs. O'Shea: Peter Pan.
Junior & Senior Infants - Mrs. Linehan (Ms. Anne-Marie O'Riordan): Frozen.
First /Second Class - Mrs. Courtney: The Jungle Book. These classes are on Stage on Friday Night at 7:30pm. Doors open at 7:15pm.
Saturday, 9th of December 2017
Mrs. Murphy - 2nd & 3rd Class: Aladdin.
Mrs. Meehan - 4th & 5th Class: The Wizard of Oz.
Ms. Guiney - 5th & 6th Class: Hairspray.
We hope you all enjoy the show. Tickets €5 each and this covers entry for both nights.
We had yet another busy time the last few weeks in Kanturk GNS. Every class has been busy preparing for our Christmas Drama Productions which will be held in the Edel Quinn Hall in December.
This week we had very special visitors - Munster Champions in fact!! Well Done to the Kanturk Premier Intermediate Team who won the Munster final! We were delighted to see them and we wish them continued success for the rest of the season ahead. #kanturkabú
Music and gymnastics lessons are continuing.
Committee Meetings for new Ideas.
Buddy system at lunch times - Juniors and Sixth. It is lots of fun!
After break/lunch activities on Wednesdays and Thursdays lead by Committee Members. See A.S. section for more info.
Projects - Travelling to Limerick very soon.
See Green Schools section for more info.
Welcome back everyone after the Halloween Holidays. We hope you all had a lovely break.
Before Halloween, students in our school did very well as always in the Credit Union Art Competition. Laura Enright (5th Class) and Orlagh Kearns(1st Class) won prizes and we are extremely proud of them. Well done to all who entered the competition!
There was also a Halloween Art and Craft Competition organised by the Green schools Committee in school. All classes took part and it was a huge success with so many fantastic and creative final products made from recyclable products. . Some of them were certainly spooky......Please see pictures below of some of the events.
Coming up this term..
- Gymnastic classes will be held for six weeks on a Friday. Cost 5 euro in total with Patsy Reilly.
- Football training with Martin Farrissey , GAA development coach, for our Junior and Senior Infants.
- Drama lessons for the up and coming Christmas performance are ongoing.
- Music classes with Jackie Bolster.
School will reopen tomorrow Weds 18th October
School closed tomorrow Monday 16th October for Health and Safety reasons due to Red Weather Warning Alert .
School will close on Thursday 19th October at 1.50pm to facilitate a staff meeting.
Well done to the Kanturk Hurling Team who won their final on Saturday night. A great achievement for Kanturk and we are all very proud of the team here in the Girls school. Looking forward to a visit from the team with the cup
Please note the following:
(1) The Rainbow Room has opened. This is a new Early Intervention ASD class for children aged 3 - 5 years of age.
We welcome our three new pupils , their teacher Margaret Ryan and SNA Helen Sexton to the Rainbow room and wish them all the best this year.
(2) There will be a clothes Recycling Collection on Thursday 26th October. We welcome all bags of recyclable clothes, linen etc.
(3) Drama has come to the Girls School. Every Thursday until the beginning of December we have a drama teacher Tess and her colleague Cerys visiting our school to work with each class towards putting on a performance in the Edel Quinn Hall on Friday 8th December. Every pupil in our school will be on stage with their class on the night. Each class is performing their own separate act and all will be revealed. Many thanks to the Parents Association and all who organised and took part in Strictly comes to Kanturk las year as the funds from this will provide free classes for our pupils each week .
A meeting about the 'Do it in Memory programme for First Communion class parents will be held in our school Wednesday 4th of October at 7.30pm. This programme is in preparation for First Communion and Parents of 2nd Class are invited to attend.
Welcome back everyone after the Summer holidays. We hope you had a happy and safe Summer. We are looking forward to the busy year ahead.
We would also like to welcome the new Junior Infants. They have been settling in well so far.
Please keep an eye out on the home page and class pages for any updates throughout the year.