Newsletter January, 2018
11th January, 2018
Welcome back everyone after the Christmas Break. We wish you all a Happy New Year. Here are some items to note for this term.
- Grandparents Day Thursday 1st February. Mass at 10am in the Church followed by refreshments for all in our school hall. Parents and Grandparents from Boys and Girls school are especially invited.
- Parent Teacher meetings will be held on Wednesday 21st and Thursday 22nd of February. Appointments will be sent out by class teacher and if times are not suitable it is possible to rearrange.
- Open night for new Junior Infant Enrolments September 2018 will be held on Tuesday 13th February at 7.30pm. Please inform any parents you know who want to enrol their child in our school for September.
- Stay Safe Programme will be taught in school this term. We ask you to read the letter sent home to you containing all details of the programme and how to access information about the programme.
- First Penance Wednesday 21st March.
- As the weather is very changeable we ask that all pupils wear coats, hats/caps to school each day. Reminder please ensure pupils wear their uniforms with the exception of their P.E days. As is always, if there is ice in the mornings we remind you to take care travelling and only travel if safe to do so. Our school will remain open each day unless you otherwise hear from us by text. Also please find information from HSE at the back of the this letter with some useful prevention tips to stop the spread of flu.
- Music for this term €20 – Classes taking part include 1st, 4th &5th, 5th&6th.
- Scór : We wish all the best to the girls who are taking part in Scór in Cullen on Friday 19th January.
- Do This in Memory Mass for Communion Class will be at 10am this Sunday 14th January.
As always if you have any queries or concerns please contact the school and make an appointment with the class teacher. Should you have a message for the class teacher please send in a note or write into homework journal . If you wish to speak to a teacher in the morning when you are dropping off your child please feel free to speak to the teachers on duty in the hall and all information will be passed onto the class teacher.
How students can prevent the spread of influenza(flue) at school
Seasonal influenza 2017- 2018 as directed by HSE
Be aware of the symptoms of flu
Flu usually presents with sudden onset of fever(temperature over 38C/100F) and cough or sore throat. Other symptoms can include runny or stuffy nose, limb or joint pain, headache, vomiting or diarrhoea.
Prevent spread of flu by doing the following at all times:
1. Practice good hand hygiene by washing your hands often with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing.
2. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Dispose of tissues immediately as household rubbish in the normal way. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow or shoulder, not into your hands.
3. Avoid sharing pencils, crayons, pens, toys/objects where possible and, if sharing them, clean them before passing them between students.
4. If you have symptoms of flu, you should not attend school.
5. If you have suspected flu, you should remain at home for 5 days from when symptoms began.
6. If you are at higher risk for complications from flu, get the seasonal flu vaccine. See http:/www.hpsc.ie/A-ZRespiratory/Influenza/SeasonalInfluenza/Vaccination/
Guidance on seasonal influenza:
Le gach dea mhéin,
Also feel free to log onto school website at www.gnskanturk.com or twitter @ KanturkGNS for all school information etc.