Convent Of Mercy Primary School
Kanturk, Co. Cork
Phone No : 029 5002
February, 2016 Newsletter
Dear Parents/ Guardians,
Just a few items to note before our next break.
• First Penance : First Penance takes place on Thursday March 10th at 7.30pm in the Church.
• Confirmation: The Ceremony of Light for all confirmation pupils takes place on Thursday March 3rd at 7.30pm.
• Proclamation Day: Parents/Guardians/Grandparents are all invited to our Proclamation Ceremony in honour of the 1916 rising on Tuesday March 15th at
12 noon in our school. There will be a short ceremony with music and song. Our School Proclamation will be read and our National Flag will be raised. There will be tea , coffee and buns afterwards. We hope you can all join us for this special occasion.
• Well done to all who participated in Scór this term. We are proud of them and all the work they put into it. Well done especially to the Ballad group who reached the final in the Edel Quinn hall last Sunday and the Drama group who received medals for third place. All our Scór participants hope to take part in Scoraíocht in Boherbue on Friday 4th March.
• Mrs Meehan’s class are taking part in the Sing Aloud Concert in the Opera House on Monday night 7th March. They are also going on a surprise tour of U.C.C. before hand.
• There will be a sponsored gymnastics day with Gayle Finn, a qualified gymnastics coach and a physiotherapist who is volunteering to work in Nepal with “. Projects Abroad”. It will be held on Friday 4th March in the school and each class will take part in a gymnastics class. We ask each pupil to contribute €1 towards this and the money will go the Nepalese cause.
• Our Easter Egg Raffle will take place this year. The money raised will go towards equipment for a sensory room for our school. A sensory room is a special room designed to develop a person’s senses usually through special lighting, music and objects. It can be used as a therapy for children to develop sensory skills and also key life skills such as vocalization and gross and fine motor skills. Tickets will be sold for 50c per strip and €1 for 3 strips. Tickets on sale next week.
• Yoga will begin for classes from 3rd to 6th next Wednesday 2nd March for six weeks. Cost €5 per pupil for six weeks. The Parents Association are kindly subsidising the remaining cost
• There will be a recycling clothes collection on May 10th in school.
• Book Fair in Boys School this year. Pupils from 1st – 6th in our school will be going up to it on Wednesday 9th March. The Book Fair will be open to all parents/guardians at certain times. Further details later.
• Mr Buckley will hold Parent Teacher meetings from February, 29th to Friday March 4th. Appointments can be made by contacting the office.
• Parents Association – Operation Active has finished and overall it was a success. It is hoped that money raised from Operation Active will subsidise swimming for this year. However, if fundraisers are not supported it will not be possible to subsidise swimming and other events in the future as the funds will not be there. Chris Price fitness instructor will continue fitness classes in the school hall on Monday night at 7.30pm for 40/45 minutes cost €5 per class.
As always if you have any queries or concerns please contact the office. Also feel free to visit our website at www.kanturkgns.com
Le gach dea mhéin