We are a very active school. This year we have decided to make a very special effort to become more active and have applied for the Active School flag.
We have been very busy so far.
- We have formed an Active School committee to include student and parent representatives.
- We have given out a student survey for student views.
- We have worked closely with the Parents Association who have introduced an Operation Active programme. This has been a huge success so far.
- We have given out a Super Troopers programme which encourages exercising at home. The objective is to encourage families to be more aware of the importance of being active at home.
- The Active School Committee has invited different sports organisations in Kanturk to visit the school and teach a class about their sport e.g Cycling, GAA, Rugby, Golf, Basketball, Kangoo Jumps, Yoga.
- We have been completing active exercises in the yard at lunch to include active buddy systems between younger and older children and active exercises completed in lines after the bell.
- Children from Junior Infants to Third Class have been enjoying Yoga classes while older classes have been enjoying camogie skills training.
- We have also made a running/walking track around the perimeter of the school yard which is measured. All classes can use this as an active brain break during the day. We are hoping for each class to complete a part of a marathon so our school can collectively complete a marathon.
- We hope to complete lots of other activities. Feel free to take a look at some photos of activities taking place at the moment.